Btw, rather than directly opening a terminal window, you may want to
use the notify-send api / command line to do your popup. That way it
gets rendered natively by your desktop of choice, and you don't have
to fuss about searching which DISPLAY variable X is running on.

You can do something like
notify-send --app-name=foo
--icon=icon-name-in-usr-share-icons-without-the-path-and-extension
--urgency=normal|critical --expire-time=milliseconds "TITLE"
"LONGTEXT"

--
This email is:    [ ] actionable   [ ] fyi        [ ] social
Response needed:  [ ] yes          [ ] up to you  [ ] no