>> This is actually a portage question.  How can I install udisks-2 in a
>> way that will fix this problem?  I'm confused by how to handle the
>> slotting behavior.
>
> emerge udisks:2
>
> A SLOT is treated as two different packages that just happen to have the
> same name, so there's a ":<something>" appended to differentiate them.
>
> Other packages that use udisks will define which SLOT they DEPEND on in
> their ebuild, if it's important to distinguish them that way.

It looks like installing udisks-2 to SLOT 2 would mean installing into
a new slot.  I don't think that will fix the behavior I described
below.  I think I need to upgrade one of the currently installed
udisks slots to udisks-2.  Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding
and I should just follow your instructions?

- Grant