> I think the issue here is that we are not understanding what the
> problem is. It happens with an application in particular, or with a
> desktop environment? It happens when you try to umount the device, or
> when you disconnect it from the computer? Do you loose data in the
> camera, or when transferring photos to your computer? Or is only that
> you don't like the error reported?

When trying to eject a USB camera in thunar in xfce4, the error
appears and the device does not umount.  Here is a command that also
produces the error:

# udisks --detach /dev/sdb
Detach failed: Error detaching: helper exited with exit code 1:
Detaching device /dev/sdb
USB device: /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-6)
SYNCHRONIZE CACHE: FAILED: No such file or directory
(Continuing despite SYNCHRONIZE CACHE failure.)
STOP UNIT: FAILED: No such file or directory

> udisks is deprecated and (AFAIK) unmaintained. Do you *really* need
> it? Or perhaps is being pulled by a package that actually supports
> udisks2, but you have a USE flag that pulls udisks1?
>
> In GNOME, if you have gvfs with the gdu USE flag, it pulls libgdu,
> which pulls udisks1. But you don't actually need it; everything is
> covered by the udisks USE flag (which pulls udisks2).
>
> Do a "equery depends udisks" and see what is pulling udisks1.

I get the following:

# equery depends udisks
 * These packages depend on udisks:
gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3-r1 (udisks ? >=sys-fs/udisks-1.90:2)
gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2 (=sys-fs/udisks-1.0*:0)

# emerge -pv gvfs libgdu
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/libgdu-3.0.2  USE="-avahi -doc -gnome-keyring" 0 kB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3-r1  USE="cdda gdu http udev
-afp -archive -avahi -bluetooth -bluray -doc -fuse -gnome-keyring
-gphoto2 -ios -samba (-udisks)" 0 kB

- Grant