On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is actually a portage question.  How can I install udisks-2 in a
>>> way that will fix this problem?  I'm confused by how to handle the
>>> slotting behavior.
>>
>> emerge udisks:2
>>
>> A SLOT is treated as two different packages that just happen to have the
>> same name, so there's a ":<something>" appended to differentiate them.
>>
>> Other packages that use udisks will define which SLOT they DEPEND on in
>> their ebuild, if it's important to distinguish them that way.
>
> It looks like installing udisks-2 to SLOT 2 would mean installing into
> a new slot.  I don't think that will fix the behavior I described
> below.  I think I need to upgrade one of the currently installed
> udisks slots to udisks-2.  Is that correct, or am I misunderstanding
> and I should just follow your instructions?

I think the issue here is that we are not understanding what the
problem is. It happens with an application in particular, or with a
desktop environment? It happens when you try to umount the device, or
when you disconnect it from the computer? Do you loose data in the
camera, or when transferring photos to your computer? Or is only that
you don't like the error reported?

udisks is deprecated and (AFAIK) unmaintained. Do you *really* need
it? Or perhaps is being pulled by a package that actually supports
udisks2, but you have a USE flag that pulls udisks1?

In GNOME, if you have gvfs with the gdu USE flag, it pulls libgdu,
which pulls udisks1. But you don't actually need it; everything is
covered by the udisks USE flag (which pulls udisks2).

Do a "equery depends udisks" and see what is pulling udisks1.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México