On 19/08/2013 10:10, Wang Xuerui wrote:
> 2013/8/19 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>:
>> NOT upgrading icu on a whim also comes with massive user benefits:
>>
>> such as, for example, NOT having to rebuild every damn huge piece of
>> software on the box every other week just coz icu decided to change how
>> something is done and shove it into a point release. Again.
>>
>> </rant over>
>
> Sure...
>
> And if you choose to not rebuild things you end up putting a whole lot
> of packages into @preserved-rebuild, which shows up *every* time
> emerge completes. Well, I basically get over this by simply ignoring
> them, but the length of @preserved-rebuild output usually forces me
> into emerging it every 2 weeks or so.
>
> And just consider how much CPU cycles are lost in frequent qtwebkit,
> webkit-gtk and chromium rebuilds...

webkit* updates have slowed down recently so I'm not too bothered about
that. But chromium, that thing drive me to tears, now I just use
google-chrome.

I don't always need the latest icu - 7-bit ASCII satisfies all my daily
needs :-) So I can afford to mask anything after the current version and
just leave it as-is until it suits me to rebuild things.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com