2013/8/19 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>:
> webkit* updates have slowed down recently so I'm not too bothered about
> that. But chromium, that thing drive me to tears, now I just use
> google-chrome.

Well, I choose to temporarily mask chromium if I don't have the time.
I have a /etc/portage/package.mask/11temp for (mainly) that (-:

I've switched yesterday from firefox to firefox-bin after some
mysterious crashes in the graphic backend (with HW acceleration force
enabled), only to find my compiler is not at fault... But the binary
version indeed fixed another bug, that's the "page loading" spinner
not animating, so I'd stick with that.

I don't have to use google-chrome because chromium is usually *still*
masked when I feel like upgrading, so it actually doesn't cost me much
time. In fact, I usually go to sleep right after starting emerge (-:

> I don't always need the latest icu - 7-bit ASCII satisfies all my daily
> needs :-) So I can afford to mask anything after the current version and
> just leave it as-is until it suits me to rebuild things.

As a Chinese, living with Unicode support is a must. But since CJK
codepoints are well supported for ages, and most of Chinese users are
not researchers who need access to the latest glyphs or complex-layout
writing systems, we don't have to upgrade icu that often either.

Actually, AFAICT all my icu upgrades are forced on me by the version
bump of big things like chromium or libreoffice.