On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:56:56 +0100
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Fair comment. If you're talking about individual user/admins then the
> learning curve of installing and administering a different OS (not
> necessarily more difficult, just different) is a serious obstacle.

Based on my experiences, I'll disagree with you Neil.  I had a couple of
interns working for me last year.  One was about to graduate from college and
the
other was in the middle of getting a Master's degree.  Both were comp-sci
majors.
The Master's degree intern had been running Red Hat or something,  but really
didn't
know Linux.  The other intern used WinXX - college was teaching her Java,
nothing much more than that.

First thing I did was get them set up with systems and hand them a Gentoo
minimal
CD and url for the installation manual.  Told them to ask anything they wanted
at any
time.  Explained to them that they needed to learn Linux, but that RPM based
distros
wouldn't give them any type of broad knowledge, and wouldn't be any better than
learning
to install WinXX.  They took about a week, with a couple of restarts, had them
run fluxbox
and Enlightenment before allowing them to run their choice of WM.  Eventually,
they moved
to KDE, which is fine, but they had an X environment and additional knowledge,
they could
work while KDE was compiling.  *Btw - they were also learning how to install
and use Irix
at the same time.)

While they were there, they had no real problems with Gentoo.  As part of their
task at the
time was porting/fixing former Irix tests to run on Linux,  it was a lot easier
to deal with the
issues on Gentoo, then move the the tests to RH and SuSE, where all kinds of
things
broke.  But they were more able to fix the tests because they had a better peek
under
the hood.

While they've left to go to other companies, one of the interns told me that
she misses her
Gentoo system - she's back in the Java/WinXX world of Corporate computing.

For training new technical individuals on Linux, source based distributions
with package
management systems that stay out  of the way, are great tools.  Even if the end
of the road
for many of them is some - keep your distance, GUI installer based, RPM Linux
system.

For a long time I used to think that starting a new user with a nice RPM based
distribution
was the right answer.  I was wrong.  It's the wrong answer.  It teaches them
nothing they
can use in the future.  It's painful during upgrades.  It binds their hands in
the shackles of -
you will do things the way we tell you to do them.  And letting new users
utilize GUI based
installers, always ends in - where is the install everything check box?

They may migrate to another distribution, and that's fine.  But they will be
prepared and
have knowledge.  To use Holly's car analogy -  they learned to drive a stick
shift, but
now want an automatic.  No problem.  (It's a poor analogy on my part - too
simplistic
and not fair to Portage.)

Also, this isn't just the two interns.  With only two exceptions - a Slackware
user, and a
remote Engineer who prefers to have Corp IS administrate the box, I've moved a
lot of
technical people to Gentoo.  A few have gone to other dists, and a few have
returned
back to Gentoo - the others are just too painful to administer.  But, in all
cases, they
are more knowledgeable because of having to "do things the hard way."  And being
more knowledgeable make them much more valuable as skilled employees.  More so
than
any certification will.

Bob
-