On 04/10/2013 22:19, Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On 04/10/2013 18:09, Dale wrote:
>>> Sometime last night while I was sleeping, my network sort of hiccuped.
>>> If I went to a Konsole, I could ping google so it appears the network
>>> was working on the lower level but not one browser that was left open
>>> would work.  It also didn't/couldn't download new emails.  When I
>>> restarted the browser, it worked.  This is the case for both Seaminkey
>>> and Firefox.  If it was just one, I'd think browser issue but not two of
>>> them at the same time.  This is a example of what is in my messages file:
>>>
>>> Sep 29 03:10:15 localhost kernel: [382175.585718] ohci_hcd 0000:00:12.1:
>>> urb ffff88034092b0c0 path 1 ep1in 93120000 cc 9 --> status -121
>>> Sep 29 03:10:17 localhost kernel: [382177.582033] ohci_hcd 0000:00:12.1:
>>> urb ffff8803f06a9d40 path 1 ep1in 92120000 cc 9 --> status -121
>>> Sep 29 03:10:19 localhost kernel: [382179.586285] ohci_hcd 0000:00:12.1:
>>> urb ffff8803f06a9680 path 1 ep1in 93120000 cc 9 --> status -121
>>> Sep 29 03:10:21 localhost kernel: [382181.582602] ohci_hcd 0000:00:12.1:
>>> urb ffff8803f06a9680 path 1 ep1in 92120000 cc 9 --> status -121
>>> Sep 29 03:10:23 localhost kernel: [382183.586879] ohci_hcd 0000:00:12.1:
>>> urb ffff8803f06a9680 path 1 ep1in 93120000 cc 9 --> status -121
>>

>> What I read from your description is that Seamonkey and Firefox hiccuped
>> and everything else either works or was not tested. Assuming that those
>> browsers share lots of common code - see where I'm going with this?
>>
>> The entries in your messages file may or may not be relevant, and if
>> they are relevant it will be as a side effect.
>>
>> OHCI is a USB 1.1 implementation, I can't imagine why you have it
>> loaded. Surely you do not have USB 1 only hardware? USB2 deals with that
>> nicely. It is possible that you have a shit storm of USB weirdness going
>> on and this in locking up the desktop. Try disabling USB stuff you don't
>> need and see what gives.
>>

> I do see where you are going with this and is sort of my thinking too.
> It seems tho, pidgin wasn't working either.  I always have pidgin as
> online by default but was bumped off during this weird thing going on.
> Still confusing huh?  Oh, my Konsole is run as root.

When you say the browser didn't work, what do you mean exactly?
Do all request just time out?
Do DNS lookups all fail?
Is the GUI just stuck?

The kind of failure is important to finding the cause. I have something
similar - when I copy many large files over wireless to my NFS share
using dolphin, the gui is often stalls and stops responding to mouse
clicks till the copy is done. Firefox is especially affected. I haven't
found what's causing it yet, but it certainly isn't Firefox.

btw, konsole isn't running as root unless you do something like
sudo konsole
from krunner. There's nothing special about a konsole where you became
root. All the gui code that gives it focus and lets it run at all is
still running as user dale. The only privileged process is the bash
running in the terminal

> When I copied the first error message, I had my cell phone plugged in to
> charge it up.  My phone charges better off the puter than it does from
> the charger plugged into the wall.  Yes, I even bought a new charger.
> It charges but takes MUCH longer than when plugged into my puter.
> Anyway.  Nothing else plugged in, no printer, no scanner either.  Well,
> just thought of this.  My UPS is now USB.  I can't unplug that.  The
> second post below the P. S. part, that was with the cell phone unplugged.
>
> I been online today and somewhat active.  No problem so far.  Not
> finding anything on google tho, that has me puzzled.
>
> I just checked, I am still getting that error in messages file.  I may
> have to redo my kernel, reboot and test some more.

Just remove ohci and uhci from the kernel config

These days all you need is ehci for usb2 and xhci for usb3 (unless you
are using ancient hardware with physical usb1 ports)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com