Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 04/10/2013 23:52, Walter Dnes wrote:
>>
>>   Do *NOT* remove lowspeed USB driver... unless you have a rescue USB
>> stick boot handy.  I tried that a few years ago and found that my USB
>> keyboard and mouse stopped working.  UHCI is used by Intel and VIA cpus,
>> according to the help in "make menuconfig".  AMD may be OHCI, I don't
>> know.
>>
> It depends on the hardware on the motherboard, not on the CPU. Different
> cpus for the most part have matching chipsets and the USB implementation
> is in the chipset. USB1 had two implementations - uhci and ohci.
>
> If you have hardware that is usb1 only, then you need those drivers.
> These days, that is rare. These days, most motherboards have lots of
> usb2 ports and when you plug in a keyboard, they run in usb1 mode but
> still use the ehci driver to do it. I have a usb1 keyboard and mouse
> plugged into this laptop right now:
>
> $ lsmod | grep -i \[uo\]hci
> firewire_ohci          31868  0
> firewire_core          50381  1 firewire_ohci
> $ lsmod | grep -i ehci_hcd
> ehci_hcd               38782  1 ehci_pci
> usbcore               152800  7
> btusb,uvcvideo,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,xhci_hcd
>
> No [uo]hci. And the only machine I have left with usb1-only hardware
> dates from 2004, everything else uses only ehci and the lowspeed drivers
> are not even built.
>
> Dale changed his motherboard recently, presumably he knows what his
> chipset offers

This is the rig I built a few years ago.  It has a Gigabyte mobo but it
hasn't been changed yet.  I was planning on it but family issues moved
that from a burner to not even on the stove and cold as ice.  This issue
just sort of popped up out of the blue.  Also, I'm using the same kernel
I been using for a while now.  3.9.5-gentoo  I been using that kernel
since the middle of June.  I have tested newer ones but ran into other
issues, nvidia mostly.

My keyboard/mouse is very old school.  PS/2.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!