On 04/10/2013 23:52, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 09:35:33PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
>
>> OHCI is a USB 1.1 implementation, I can't imagine why you have it
>> loaded. Surely you do not have USB 1 only hardware? USB2 deals with that
>> nicely. It is possible that you have a shit storm of USB weirdness going
>> on and this in locking up the desktop. Try disabling USB stuff you don't
>> need and see what gives.
>
>   Do *NOT* remove lowspeed USB driver... unless you have a rescue USB
> stick boot handy.  I tried that a few years ago and found that my USB
> keyboard and mouse stopped working.  UHCI is used by Intel and VIA cpus,
> according to the help in "make menuconfig".  AMD may be OHCI, I don't
> know.

It depends on the hardware on the motherboard, not on the CPU. Different
cpus for the most part have matching chipsets and the USB implementation
is in the chipset. USB1 had two implementations - uhci and ohci.

If you have hardware that is usb1 only, then you need those drivers.
These days, that is rare. These days, most motherboards have lots of
usb2 ports and when you plug in a keyboard, they run in usb1 mode but
still use the ehci driver to do it. I have a usb1 keyboard and mouse
plugged into this laptop right now:

$ lsmod | grep -i \[uo\]hci
firewire_ohci          31868  0
firewire_core          50381  1 firewire_ohci
$ lsmod | grep -i ehci_hcd
ehci_hcd               38782  1 ehci_pci
usbcore               152800  7
btusb,uvcvideo,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ehci_pci,usbhid,xhci_hcd

No [uo]hci. And the only machine I have left with usb1-only hardware
dates from 2004, everything else uses only ehci and the lowspeed drivers
are not even built.

Dale changed his motherboard recently, presumably he knows what his
chipset offers

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com