On 2013-10-13 5:49 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
Talk about putting some stuff on tmpfs.  O_O  I have always wanted to
copy the tree to tmpfs and run "time emerge -uvaDN world".  Just to see
how fast it will go.  lol

I remember once I worked for an Apple reseller that had this accounting program that required them to do some kind of 'reconciliation' every month that required a massive amount of processing - it took like 36 hours or something ridiculous (literally almost took all weekend), and he had implemented a rule that someone had to be there the entire time to baby sit the process - apparently it wasn't uncommon for there to be an error that would require them to restart it - and this was on a pretty powerful system at the time.

Well, one weekend, when we were building a system for a customer with tons of RAM (for the time) I talked them into a little experiment. The boss didn't believe me when I told him I could get the reconciliation processing time down to less than a day (I told him probably just a few hours, but wasn't sure)... so we made a bet.

I took a Quadra 900 (or maybe it was a 950), and added a bunch of RAM - I think we got it up to 128MB or something ridiculous (this was in about 1992). The accounting DB was about 40MB at the time, but hey, we had the RAM, so I just loaded it up.

I created a RAM disk, copied the entire Accounting DB into it, and started running the reconciliation. The process finished after about 45 minutes (I was even surprised at that), and while there were no errors and it said it had completed successfully, the boss was sure that something had gone wrong. So, he re-ran it the old way on the old server, and almost 2 days later, when the numbers matched, he just shook his head and paid me off, muttering about the lost weekends over the last 5 years he'd been there. He kept that machine around for running the reconciliation for at least a few months, but then I left, so no idea how long he kept it for...