On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Daniel Campbell <li...@sporkbox.us> wrote:
> On 02/15/2014 02:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

>>> There was a thread sometime last year mentioning a slimmer/slicker and
>>> obeying
>>> to the *nix design principles initialisation system, but can't find it at
>>> the
>>> moment.  Isn't that at all in the running?
>>
>> For Slackware, I have no idea. For Debian, no the only options were[1]:
>>
>> 1. sysvinit (status quo)
>> 2. systemd
>> 3. upstart
>> 4. openrc (experimental)
>> 5. One system on Linux, something else on non-linux
>> 6. multiple
>>
>> It should also be noted that no one in the TC voted OpenRC above
>> systemd AND upstart, and that while a couple voted systemd below
>> everything else, it can be argued that it was a tactical vote.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/
>>

> Why didn't they consider runit? It has parallel execution of daemons and
> is backwards compatible with sysv. It has a few other mini-features as
> well, iirc. I used for a little while before Arch pushed systemd on
> their community and it was interesting.

Because nobody proposed it? And almost no one is using it? Which
means; no high availability upstream, no momentum, and a small
community, which translates in few real-live systems using it in
production, and few testers and possible contributors...

Besides, systemd and upstart are backwars compatible with sysv, and,
well, nobody does parallel execution of daemons better than systemd,
AFAICT. So, what advantages would runit bring to the table? Even
OpenRC, now that it has (apparently) proper parallel execution
support, would be a better choice.

But you can read the discussion directly in [1], and see the different
proposals in [2]. The discussion got nasty at some points, but I
believe in general it was a very civil and intelligent debate. And the
social/political "problems" you mentioned in your last mail were
addressed as well. "Problems" in quotes because there are many of us
who don't think they are problems at all, if they even exist.

Regards.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/threads.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/
--