On 16/02/2014 20:11, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 16/02/14 18:41, Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> I would really, really, REALLY like to see a thorough, civil debate
>>> involving those far more knowledgeable than I on the pros and cons of
>>> systemd vs OpenRC...
>>>
>>> As it seems to me, the Debian OpenRC page says that the cons are not
>>> nearly as large as the systemd proponents would have us believe.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/openrc
>>
>> I don't know much about systemd, I do know openrc.
>>
>> Thus far, the only real actual benefit I have seen of systemd that is a
>> real issue that really affects me is consolekit. It's not exactly the
>> best piece of software out there, comparable to HAL and how it was
>> replaced by udev. So systemd replaces and fixes consolekit by providing
>> logind.
>
> ConsoleKit works just fine for the features it advertises to have, where
> as HAL never did,
> so I really don't know what you are referring to?

It's a poor design. It's also unmaintained currently.

But I don't want to debate consolekit, it's OT for this thread. It runs
on my machines currently because ebuilds pulled it in. It seems to do
what it should, so for the moment I'm happy to leave it in place. But I
don't regard it as a good design, it's one of those things I list in the
risk register in my head and keep an eye on as I consider it brittle.

I only brought it up as an example, an illustration of my position. If
you feel it's a lousy analogy then so be it, but I'd rather not detract
from the topic of the thread, which is systemd.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com