On Tue, February 18, 2014 10:47, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 18/02/2014 05:46, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
>> I used to use cherokee. Fast, light, awesome, and with a web admin.
>> The init script always failed me. /etc/init.d/cherokee stop was not a
>> guaranteed stop to all forked cherokee processes - the parent pid
>> dies, but some forked process or something, usually related to
>> rrdtool, doesn't. Or the parent does exit and erases the pid file but
>> it returns control immediately and its not yet done exiting. Something
>> like that or other. Point is, I've several times had to ps aux|grep
>> ... kill; zap; start - on production servers.
>

> Valid point. Other than vixie-cron (damn thing just never seems to die
> properly on any platform so restarts always fail) I don't really run
> into these issues

Interesting, I have never had issues with restarting vixie-cron using the
supplied init-scripts.

> What I do run into is daemons that drop privs on start up, like
> tac_plus. Unwary new sysadmins always try start/stop it as root, causing
> an unholy mess. Root the owns the log and pid files, when tac_plus drops
> privs it can't record it's state so continues to service requests but
> fails to log any of them. For an auth daemon, that's a serious issue.

Shouldn't sysadmins use the init-scripts for that?
If done correctly, permissions should not be an issue.

Restarting services without keeping file ownership into account will
always cause issues. Regardless of the init-system used.

And tac_plus not checking if it is allowed to write to the log during the
initialization phase should be considered a bug.

--
Joost