On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <li...@xunil.at> wrote:
> Am 17.03.2014 20:30, schrieb J. Roeleveld:
>
>> I've been planning to try KVM as well, but am wondering how snapshots work
>> with KVM. Not been able to find anything about that apart from
>> disk-snapshots. No info if it's possible to take a copy of the memory as
>> well.
>
> I run KVM in combo with LVM snapshots for backups. RAM snapshots? Not
> sure ...
>
>>> I am right before installing Qemu and configuring the network bridge etc
>>> ... the vmdks are already converted. Maybe it doesn't take that long.
>>
>> I don't think it should take very long. :)
>> But, do check that the vmware tools get uninstalled from the guests and
>> replaced by KVM equivalents.
>
> I have the VMs now, but both are XP guests and therefore crashing
> because the weren't prepared with something like MergeIDE ... :-(
>
> *sigh*
>
> Does anyone know if there is a trick applying these drivers *without*
> having a running VMware-Server?

I suspect you don't have a WinPE bootable handy (UBCD in particular
has the tools handy for this, Hiren's as well), but if you happened to
magic one up, there's a quick script called "Fix IDE" (or "Fix HDC"
which does similar) that reverts to the generic catch-all driver that
usually works to get XP booting on new 'hardware' (whether real or
otherwise).

One thing I absolutely love about AHCI, while Windows 7 still binds to
hardware specific drivers in the long run, only having to change 2
registry values (start values in iastorv and msahci) is far, far,
easier than the mess XP had for hardware migrations ;)

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy