Also, as for a bootable flash drive, if you use logical volumes for mount
partitions, it works like a charm. If not, depending on the other physical
drives, during boot, drive letters may change (I believe during the
initramfs part of the boot).

It was basically like this:

- install a bare bones Gentoo system on a hard drive in the usual way, and
make it do whatever you'll want when it goes to the pen drive.
- build the kernel with several modules built in, in special usb storage
(of course) and all related to LVM (Gentoo Wiki is great!), and also, as I
use "genkernel", there is a command line argument "--lvm"
- create a few partitions on the pen drive (on mine there are two, but one
is enough), create logical volumes for /boot and / - or /root - at least)
- using grub2, in the file /etc/default/grub, the kernel command line
should include "dolvm scandelay=10 rootdelay=10" (the numerical values are
far from optimized).
- mount the root partition in another directory (so that other mounts would
not appear), copy it to yet another directory, strip it down (since I use
squashfs and it is read-only, there is no reason to have /usr/src ,
/usr/include , /usr/portage and many others), then copy to the pen drive
root partition; special care should be taken with /etc/fstab .
- umount your current /boot partition, mount the pen drive boot partition
in /boot (just to make things look familiar), mount the hard drive boot
partition elsewhere, copy its contents to the pen drive boot partition, and
issue a grub-install to the pen drive disk (/dev/sdb, for instance) and
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That's very incomplete, since, for instance and as already mentioned, I use
a squashfs root partition, so I had to figure out some ways, using unionfs,
to have a writable partition mounted on top of the read only one for /var
and for /etc (at least).