On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:07:22 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> > I don't think it's down to the shell, sysresccd includes bash too
> > AFAIR.
>
> Yes, bash is present, but root (superuser) has /bin/zsh as its shell in
> /etc/passwd, so bash scripts aren't run on login.

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

> > Aha, just found the proper documentation for it
> > http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Run_your_own_scripts_with_autorun
> >

> That looks interesting - thanks. First though I think I'll pursue
> getting my aliases, and unaliases, into zsh startup. Or is it simple to
> change root's login shell? It seems unlikely that simply
> editing /etc/passwd would do it.

It is that simple. One of the first things I do on a new install is
sed -i s/bash/zsh/ /etc/passwd

Dropping the aliases into ~/.zshrc is the easy option, that way to get
your aliases and a superior shell.

--
Neil Bothwick

"He's dead, Jim.  You get his phaser, I'll grab his wallet."