On 9/10/05, Frank Schafer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ... or which distribution to install during less than 4 days?
>
> Hi list,
>
> as I wrote yesterday I planned to complete installation after work
> (started ``emerge --emptytree system'' in the morning).
>
> When I returned home from work I found in the logs, that ``emerge
> --emptytree system'' failed at package 28 of 186
>
> python-fcksum-1.7.1
> i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc ....bla...bla
>  ^
>  +- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> gcc-config error:
>   could not run/locate "i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc"
>
> My architecture is i686 and it seems that 27 packages before
> python-fchksum found the i686(that's SIX-eight-six)-pc-linux-gnu-gcc.
>
> Could be my fault. I had set up ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "~x86".

That's the first problem. Unless you want to deal with explosions,
don't set your entire system to be unstable. That's a recipe for
problems. Leave the global setting at stable. Then, if you need an
unstable version use /etc/portage/package.keywords to set ~x86 for
just the package you want to install.

> Today in the morning I started up from scratch. That's about an hour of
> editing files, making file systems and so on, 1,5 hours of bootstrap.sh.
>
> ``emerge -p --emptytree system'' showed me, that it will install
> python-fchksum with the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86" too. So far, so good.
> Yesterday I got a portage snapshot 20050907, today I got a portage
> snapshot 20050908. Maybe the bug is fixed. So I started emerge system.
> At least it didn't install two versions of gcc. That saved some time. It
> ran 2,5 hours and ...
>
>    ... kabooooom ...
>
> Unfortunately I can't tell you if the python-fchksum failure has gone
> away. I didn't reach this ebuild :(

I suggest starting from a stage3 build. I've installed many stage 3
builds and it nearly always works with no breakage. Once your minimal
system up and running (always go for minimal on the initial emerge,
then boot into your system, then emerge more) then you can easily do
an emptytree emerge to re-build things....if you *really* want to. I'm
of the mind that starting with stage3 is perfectly fine. Eventually
all of those packages will be updated and recompiled, so there's
really no reason to do it manually right at the beginning.

One more thing. What optimization setting(s) are you using?

--
Justin Patrin