On Tuesday, May 06, 2014 02:31:08 PM Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm trying to set up USB-key-encryption for use with a laptop.  I'm
> running mdev instead of udev on the laptop, so lvm doesn't work.

I find this strange, as LVM can manage the /dev-entries directly.
On my systems, this is necessary as udev regularly fails to properly handle
these entries.

Eg. the following setting: " verify_udev_operations = 1 "
There are other options for udev documented in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.
Including one where LVM is configured to do ALL the /dev operations.

>  I did
> manage to create /dev/mapper/control by running "dmsetup mknodes"
> manually, but still got error messages about being unable to initialize
> the encryption backend.

I believe " cryptsetup " does not use the LVM tools. But has a new device
created by the kernel directly, which should be picked up by a device manager
directly.

>   Moving on to using loop-aes, I emerged sys-fs/loop-aes-3.7a and used
> the "loop-aes" variant commands whilst following the the only docs that
> I could find, namely http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README
> I ran into problems when trying to mount the loop device.  Here's what
> happens (passphrase is properly entered)...
>
> [aa1][root][~] loop-aes-losetup -F /dev/loop0
> Password:
> ioctl: LOOP_MULTI_KEY_SETUP_V3: Invalid argument
>
>   Anybody have any ideas?

Never used the loop-aes-losetup.
I do use cryptsetup (with the luksopen/close options) succesfully, but that is
with udev.

--
Joost