On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 08:11:02AM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote
> On Tuesday, May 06, 2014 05:34:52 PM Walter Dnes wrote:
> >
> >   Unfortunately, mdev != udev.  People running RAID have problems too.
>
> I know it isn't. I just find it strange that LVM can't work without
> udev when I see options which configure the LVM-tools to either
> double-check udevs actions or even completely bypass udev:

  Thanks for the pointer.  After turning off the udev-related options in
lvm.conf, I'm getting /dev/mapper device nodes as expected.  I still
can't get cryptsetup to work with LUKS, but it works fine *WITHOUT* LUKS
as per instructions at http://sleepyhead.de/howto/?href=cryptpart#woluks
In my case, the initial setup was...

cryptsetup -y create usbkey1 /dev/sdb1
mkfs.ext2 /dev/mapper/usbkey1
mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/usbkey1 /mnt/usbkey1
umount /mnt/usbkey1
cryptsetup remove usbkey1

...and subsequent sessions...

cryptsetup -y create usbkey1 /dev/sdb1
mount -t ext2 /dev/mapper/usbkey1 /mnt/usbkey1
...do whatever...
umount /mnt/usbkey1
cryptsetup remove usbkey1

  The setup and teardown commands have to be done as root, but I've
chowned /mnt/usbkey1 to waltdnes:users and confirmed that I can create
and delete files and directories as a regular user.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>