Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> On 07/26/2014 03:31 PM, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 15:05:23 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
>>
>>> Which NTPd package would the list recommend using, ntp, openntpd, or
>>> some other package?
>> chrony - no competition, even for servers. ntpd is way overrated,
>> unnecessarily hard to setup correctly, fragile and contrary to
>> popular belief not even that accurate, unless you use external
>> HW clocks. Chrony is maintained by Red Hat in cooperation with the
>> timekeeping code in the kernel.
>>
>>> openntpd seems to be easier to set up according to wiki.gentoo.org.
>> Many many years ago I helped port openntpd to Linux. It was OK-ish at
>> the time and easier/less hassle than ntpd, but the portable version for
>> Linux stopped working reliably many years ago due to kernel changes.
>> IMHO it really should no longer be in the tree since it gives a false
>> sense of accuracy.
>>
>> just my 0.01€..
>>
>> -h
>>

> Is this gentoo wiki article still relevant when it comes to configuring
> chrony on gentoo?
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Chrony
>
> Or should I stick to the instructions given here:
> /usr/share/doc/chrony-1.29.1/chrony.txt.bz2
>
> Thanks.

This is my chrony.conf without all the commented out parts.

server  64.6.144.6
server  67.159.5.90
server  67.59.168.233
server  204.62.14.98

server  69.50.219.51
server  209.114.111.1

driftfile /etc/chrony.drift

keyfile /etc/chrony/chrony.keys

commandkey 1

logdir /var/log/chrony
log measurements statistics tracking rtc

The last two lines are optional.  Use those if you like to be nosy and
watch it do its thing.  I still have ntpdate installed and use it to
check and see how close it is on occasion.  This is what I get from the
test:

root@fireball / # ntpdate -b -u -q pool.ntp.org
server 198.144.194.12, stratum 2, offset -0.003320, delay 0.10658
server 173.44.32.10, stratum 2, offset -0.003313, delay 0.07515
server 70.60.65.40, stratum 2, offset -0.003059, delay 0.09262
server 38.229.71.1, stratum 2, offset -0.001002, delay 0.09563
26 Jul 15:16:00 ntpdate[10232]: step time server 173.44.32.10 offset
-0.003313 sec
root@fireball / #

I did a fair sized upgrade the other day and went to the boot runlevel
afterwards to restart the services that were updated.  I'm pretty sure
it has been doing its thing since then without me doing anything to it.
I think you can use mirrorselect to find the best mirrors for your
area.  I can't recall the command but I bet a search of the Gentoo
forums would find it fairly quick.

Looking at the howto, the only thing I do different is put it in the
default runlevel.  Unless I am in the default runlevel, there is no
internet access available anyway.  No internet access, no way to set the
clock anyway.  ;-)

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)