On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM, behrouz khosravi <bz.khosr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> and now you know why you should have added --buildpkg to your default
>> emerge options.
>
> Yeah, I am happy that I did it. I really don't like to compile
> chromium or libreoffice again!

There aren't a lot of great options in this situation, especially if
your toolchain is broken.

The simple solution is to copy /usr over from a stage3, but you're
going to end up with lots of orphans/etc that way.  It isn't
super-clean, but if you do an immediate emerge -e world and then clean
up orphans in /usr that will probably take care of you.

A cleaner solution might be to set up your paths so that it searches
/usr first, and then the stage3.  Then you could bootstrap your root
as if you were building a Gentoo Prefix install:
1.  Set up your search paths to include the intact prefix/usr at the end.
2.  Do an emerge -e @system.  Maybe do it twice.
3.  Remove your search paths so that you're using your root /usr.
4.  Consider doing an extra emerge -e @system to ensure internal consistency.
5.  Do an emerge -e world.

Variations on this might involve building binpkgs from a chroot and
installing those using the search path to let portage run.

One of these days I'll have to nuke /usr in a container and play
around with restoring it.

--
Rich