On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/15/14 09:19, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:37:58 -0700, Joseph wrote:
>>
>>  I have a USB stick with FAT32 file system, but when I insert the disk
>>> it is not mounting on my desktop. No icon is showing up, why?
>>>

>> Which desktop are you using? Does it have an auto-mounter installed by
>> default?
>>

>> --
>> Neil Bothwick
>>
>> Top Oxymorons Number 18: Taped live
>>

> I'm using XFCE4 and everytime I insert a USB with FAT or ext2/3/4 the icon
> pops up on a desktop but I mount them manually.
> --
> Joseph

I remember asking on this list for instructions on how to auto-mount
removable drives some time ago as well.

Here's a copy of the rely I got. Hope this helps.
From: Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org>
Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] re: automounting removable drives
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org

xfce-base/thunar needs to have USE="udev" enabled and
xfce-extra/thunar-volman must be installed

i don't see thunar-volman in your list there

futhermore authorization from polkit/consolekit must be working, so you
must see 'active = TRUE' line when you run `ck-list-sessions` in your
Xfce's Terminal as a normal user, see this thread (first post of it):

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-0.html

and like said, xfce4-mount-plugin is irrelevant, and `mount` command
shouldn't be used at all for udisks maintained removable devices, instead
`udisksctl mount` should be used as a normal user if you really want to
mount from commandline