On Friday 19 Dec 2014 16:06:46 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Meino, to avoid misunderstandings: 1. Emerge the new gcc package. 2.
> > Use gcc-config to change to the new gcc version. 3. Run 'env-update &&
> > source /etc/profile'. 4. Run fix_libtool_files.sh, although I would
> > think that this is redundant these days. 5. Unmerge the old gcc version.
>
> I don't recall ever running fix_libtool_files.sh after switching gcc
> versions.  Usually when I see a gcc upgrade, I emerge it, switch to it
> and the usual profile thing, run emerge -e world JUST to be safe, then
> unmerge the old gcc.  That's all I usually do here.  I have skipped the
> emerge -e world a time or two.
>
> Am I just lucky, not likely as some may know, or does emerge -e world
> catch it or what?  Now I'm curious.

I don't recall having run emerge -e world following a gcc update since about
2005, on at least half a dozen gentoo installations.  This is because I do not
have a need to have ALL my systems and their applications rebuilt with the
very latest gcc version.  Bear in mind that some packages may not even use
gcc, so you're remerging them unnecessarily.  Since electricity is not free in
my household, I only emerge what I need.  Of course, YMMV.

--
Regards,
Mick