On Monday 02 Mar 2015 18:07:45 Petric Frank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is not a Gentoo problem per se, but i'm getting it under Gentoo.
>
> Runninng KDE + Networkmanager
> (net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.10.1_pre20141101) together with vpnc plugin
> (net-misc/networkmanager-vpnc-0.9.10.0).
>
> I have set up a VPN connection to a AVM FritzBox (which is using - as far
> as i can evaluate - a Cisco like IPSec tunnel).
>
> This is running very well, but after exactly 1 hour the connection is
> dropped. I can reconnect, but it also lasts 1 hour.
>
> After som crawlng though the net it seems that a key validity runs ot of
> time at the client side. I t looks like this one
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vpnc/+bug/479632
>
> The nmcli output for this connection reads like this (some obfusicated):
> ------------------------ cut -----------------------------
> ==== Details des Verbindungsprofils (XX)
> ==== connection.id:                          XX
> connection.uuid:
> 11111111111111-2222-33333333333333333 connection.interface-name:
>    --
> connection.type:                        vpn
> connection.autoconnect:                 no
> connection.timestamp:                   1425319416
> connection.read-only:                   no
> connection.permissions:
> connection.zone:
> connection.master:                      --
> connection.slave-type:                  --
> connection.secondaries:
> connection.gateway-ping-timeout:        0
> ---- ipv4.method:                            auto
> ipv4.dns:
> ipv4.dns-search:
> ipv4.addresses:
> ipv4.routes:
> ipv4.ignore-auto-routes:                yes
> ipv4.ignore-auto-dns:                   no
> ipv4.dhcp-client-id:                    --
> ipv4.dhcp-send-hostname:                yes
> ipv4.dhcp-hostname:                     --
> ipv4.never-default:                     yes
> ipv4.may-fail:                          no
> ---- ipv6.method:                            ignore
> ipv6.dns:
> ipv6.dns-search:
> ipv6.addresses:
> ipv6.routes:
> ipv6.ignore-auto-routes:                no
> ipv6.ignore-auto-dns:                   no
> ipv6.never-default:                     no
> ipv6.may-fail:                          yes
> ipv6.ip6-privacy:                       0 (deaktiviert)
> ipv6.dhcp-hostname:                     --
> ---- vpn.service-type:
> org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.vpnc vpn.user-name:
>  --
> vpn.data:                               Local Port = 0, IKE DH Group = dh2,
> Perfect Forward Secrecy = server, Xauth password-flags = 1, IPSec ID =
> u...@host.loc, IPSec gateway = open.nsupdate.info, Xauth username =
> u...@host.loc, Cisco UDP Encapsulation Port = 0, Vendor = cisco, IPSec
> secret- flags = 1, NAT Traversal Mode = natt
> vpn.secrets:

> [...]

Going from memory here, but I recall that the VPNC client had problems
rekeying SAs in Phase 2.  I seem to recall there was bug but can't recall if
it was ever patched.

Yep - see here, a regression problem with version net-misc/vpnc-0.5.3:

http://lists.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/pipermail/vpnc-devel/2009-July/003127.html

I see that portage has 0.5.3_p527-r1 as stable, but I don't know if this
includes any necessary patches.  You could check the changelog.

BTW, have you tried more actively developed VPN software like strongswan (it
has a networkmanager plugin) or even ipsec-tools instead of vpnc, to see if
you're getting the same problem?  I think that they should work with Cisco VPN
gateways, although it may be fiddly to set them up.

--
Regards,
Mick