Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> Your basic problem is that you have static and static-libs in USE. When
>>> applied to lvm, a whole bunch of blockers kick in and you get what you
>>> got. So take them out of USE.
>>>
>>> USE="static static-libs" has it's uses, it's great for building rescue
>>> disks, busybox and maybe some disk repair utils, but makes very little
>>> sense on a regular workstation. If you break your workstation, you'll
>>> boot off a rescue disk and use the tools on it to fix your install, so
>>> you don't need it on the main system.
>>>
>>> There is nothing wrong with your eudev.
>>> lvm2 is bitching about blockers between lvm2 built with "USE=static" and
>>> udev - there's some incompatibility there and the ebuild knows about them
>>>

>> I went through the package.use file and commented out the static and
>> static-libs stuff.  It seems happy but thing is, when I put them there,
>> they were needed for some reason.  Actually, all the parts I found had
>> the output of where emerge said those were needed.  Maybe the reason
>> they were needed then has changed and they are no longer needed.  I hope
>> anyway.  ;-)
> I know there were some guides for doing LVM root that used to advise
> building stuff statically, probably because of some problem with
> genkernel.
>
> With a modern initramfs (dracut, and possible recent genkernel),
> shared libs work just as well, so there should be no need.

Well, in package.use, it has some output of emerge that said it needed.
Here is a snippet:

# required by sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.109[static]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
#=sys-apps/util-linux-2.24.1-r3 static-libs

# required by virtual/udev-208-r2
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
#virtual/libudev static-libs

# required by virtual/udev-208-r2[gudev]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
#virtual/libgudev static-libs

There's a couple more but you get the idea.  I don't use genkernel,
tried it but never got a working kernel from it so I do them by hand.
Everything built OK with no more complaining so I guess whatever it is
has changed.  Still weird tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)