Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 17/03/2015 22:16, Dale wrote:
>> Mike Gilbert wrote:

>>> I know there were some guides for doing LVM root that used to advise
>>> building stuff statically, probably because of some problem with
>>> genkernel.
>>>
>>> With a modern initramfs (dracut, and possible recent genkernel),
>>> shared libs work just as well, so there should be no need.
>>>

>> Well, in package.use, it has some output of emerge that said it needed.
>> Here is a snippet:
>>
>> # required by sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.109[static]
>> # required by @selected
>> # required by @world (argument)
>> #=sys-apps/util-linux-2.24.1-r3 static-libs
>
> You are reading it wrong. That means:
> util-linux needs to be built with USE="static-libs"
> because
> lvm2 is already built with USE="static"
>
> None of which explains why you originally built lvm2 that way.

It was because emerge told me it needed it for some reason.  It is very
rare that I just put something in package.use on my own.  On the rare
times I have done it, it is on a package that I use and I need to enable
something but don't want to enable it globally or only that one package
has that USE flag.  A couple examples, gimp, nut, gtkam is a few that I
have in there because of some option I need to enable/disable.

>> # required by virtual/udev-208-r2
>> # required by @selected
>> # required by @world (argument)
>> #virtual/libudev static-libs
>>
>> # required by virtual/udev-208-r2[gudev]
>> # required by @selected
>> # required by @world (argument)
>> #virtual/libgudev static-libs
>>
>> There's a couple more but you get the idea.  I don't use genkernel,
>> tried it but never got a working kernel from it so I do them by hand.
>> Everything built OK with no more complaining so I guess whatever it is
>> has changed.  Still weird tho.
>
> This has nothing to do with genkernel.
> More than likely, you followed some daft advice on teh intarwebz saying
> you need a static lvm to be able to boot / on lvm.

I don't have / on lvm.  /boot and / are on regular partitions.
Everything else, /usr, /var and /home, are on lvm.  Keep in mind, I was
trying to avoid that init thingy.

I mentioned genkernel because Mike mentioned it.  I tried it ages ago
and never got a kernel that would boot.  I don't even have it installed
here.  I started doing them by hand and have been pretty good at it ever
since.  Odd I know.

Dale

:-)  :-)