On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 01:51:20 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> I'm sure plenty have found that to be the case. My problem is inability
> to connect the dots between the 12.1 column on
> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=gentoo and the
> instructions.

That link leads to the same page as if you clicked Downloads on
gentoo.org!

> Goal #1 is to get Grub 0.97 on my first pass following
> those instructions, and Grub2 never, rather than skipping the
> bootloader installation step.

The stage 3 does not install a bootloader, which is why the GRUB2 option
at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Bootloader
tells you to install it. If you'd rather use a different bootloader, just
install and configure it instead. I can think of no good reason to start
with GRUB 0.97, but if that's what you want, just do it.

> Goal #2 is to get through that first pass
> without any of systemd being installed.

Then just follow the handbook. It appears you have read neither the
handbook nor the recent posts to your threads fully or you would know
that systemd is not the default and requires some extra steps to install.

> Choosing options rather
> accepting defaults is not "pretty easy", at least for me who installed
> Gentoo only once previously, more than 4 years ago.

Gentoo is not supposed to be easy, but if you'd just followed the
handbook you would have got what you wanted.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you use envelopes, why not encryption ?