Jc García <jyo.garcia <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I'm not saying push one over the other, but explain and delineate
> > that choice
> > *early* in the handbook. WE owe the larger linux community that wisdom::
> > that gentoo has made peace with systemd and openrc:: imho.

> OpenRC is there on the stage3, systemd isn't, if you don't think about
> systemd you get an OpenRC installation, I think it would confuse more
> people to talk about choosing init system(especially noobs) right at
> the beginning of the handbook.

I think during the installation (before the reboot) lots of software
can be installed or removed. So that means that systemd and companion
packages are part of the installation. And systemd is a choice during the
profile selection part of an installation.

Also, I was writing concerning what Felix had expressed. Maybe I cut
out too much his writing about systemd, distrowatch and such. Gmane
often causes me to cut more than I'd like, before posting.  Clearly
there is no perfect pathway. But some discussion early on about the (2)
fundamental choices is warranted as it is a concern for many, especially
noobs, that visit gentoo for a test drive?

Perhaps a discussion document, maybe as a footnote in the handbook or the
homepage?

hth,
James