On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> And, no, I won't install any package which is merged into systemd. As
> you mentioned udev, what do you need udev for if you don't use systemd?
> Just install eudev. Works perfectly without any systemd dependency.

Like I said - if you want to go this route be prepared to tweak half
your system to keep it working.  Replacing udev with eudev is
certainly possible, but probably not something I'd recommend for
somebody trying out Gentoo for the first time.  Most of the eudev
developers would probably not recommend setting install masks and
setting USE=-systemd either.

And you're using udev all the same - there isn't much that was in udev
before the systemd merge which isn't in eudev today.  It seems a bit
odd to object to a package on the sole basis of what source repository
its maintainers are using.  But, whatever floats your boat.

> So, yes, I will file any bugs if something breaks, because systemd is
> supposed to be optional on Gentoo.

If a package declares a dependency against a package that installs
something in /usr/lib/systemd, and it breaks because you masked that
directory, then your bug is probably going to be marked invalid.  But,
if you enjoy making work for the bug wranglers I guess you can do your
part to ensure that the position remains understaffed.

I'm not talking about incorrect dependencies not aligned with
upstream/etc.  Those are often valid bugs, as are bugs asking for
fixes to openrc scripts or systemd units even though openrc and
systemd are optional on Gentoo.  Maintainers aren't required to commit
openrc scripts or systemd units, but they're certainly encouraged to
do so when somebody provides them for an init system they use (or
runit, or upstart, or whatever).

(Fun piece of Gentoo trivia.  Most Gentoo-derived systems don't run
either openrc or systemd - they run upstart, despite it not even being
in the main Gentoo repository.  Go figure...)

--
Rich