On 03/09/2015 15:56, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 07:19 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I've changed the permission on this file to: apache:apache and rw
> the link above should work.

>>> I tried to download it but got a 403 Forbidden HTTP error.
>>>
>>> This might be a bad suggestion, but if you have a lot of time, it might
>>> be easier to uninstall audacity and any other packages that have been
>>> giving you problems, then `emerge -uDN --with-bdeps=y @world`, then
>>> `emerge --depclean', and then install all the stuff you need.
>>>
>>> I believe someone else mentioned checking /var/lib/portage/world and
>>> making sure that it doesn't contain any virtuals - it might also be good
>>> to remove from it any software that you do not directly need.
>>

>> Even better - Thelma should just post the entire /var/lib/portage/world
>> file so we can advise what to take out.
>>
>> Most newbies clutter up their world needlessly, it takes a bit of
>> practice to grok what should be in their
>
> Yes, the system is few years old.
> It make me wonder if the problem might be cause by me emerging:
>
> emerge -avC libjpeg-turbo
> emerge -av1 media-libs/jpeg:0 media-libs/jpeg:62

Probably. None of that belongs in world

> I'm using obsolete "nxclient-3.5.0.7" as I need it and there is no good
> replacement alternative on Gentoo.
>
> Here is /var/lib/portage/world

You have a lot of clutter and junk in there. When you add dependant libs
to world, you remove portage's ability to do the right thing, and you
then have to do it all yourself. Humans never get this right - witness
your recent woes.

Comments inline, edit the world file directly:

> app-admin/gkrellm
> app-admin/syslog-ng
> app-admin/tmpwatch
> app-admin/webapp-config
> app-arch/cabextract
> app-arch/xarchiver
> app-benchmarks/cpuburn
> app-cdr/cdrtools
> app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools
> app-crypt/gnupg
> app-crypt/pinentry
> app-dicts/myspell-en
> app-editors/leafpad
> app-editors/nano
> app-emulation/dosemu
> app-emulation/virtualbox-bin
> app-emulation/virtualbox-modules
> app-forensics/chkrootkit
> app-forensics/rkhunter
> app-misc/ca-certificates
> app-office/glabels
> app-office/gnucash
> app-office/gnumeric
> app-office/openoffice-bin
> app-portage/cfg-update
> app-portage/eix
> app-portage/genlop
> app-portage/gentoolkit
> app-portage/portage-utils
> app-text/a2ps
> app-text/acroread
> app-text/dos2unix
> app-text/enscript
> app-text/evince
> app-text/flpsed
> app-text/ghostscript-gpl
> app-text/gv
> app-text/lcdf-typetools
> app-text/mpage
> app-text/pdfjam
> app-text/pdfshuffler
> app-text/pdftk
> app-text/texi2html
> app-text/wdiff
> dev-db/mysql
> dev-db/phpmyadmin
> dev-db/postgresql
> dev-db/postgresql:9.0
> dev-db/postgresql:9.1
> dev-java/icedtea-bin
> dev-java/java-config
> dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin
> dev-lang/lua
> dev-lang/php
> dev-lang/python
> dev-lang/swig
> dev-lang/tcl
> dev-lang/tk

> dev-libs/check
> dev-libs/libnl
> dev-libs/openssl

remove everything in dev-libs

> dev-perl/DBD-Pg
> dev-perl/GStreamer

Remove. No such package, unless its from an overlay

> dev-php/smarty
> dev-python/cython

> dev-python/dbus-python

Remove. It's a dep of many things

> dev-python/django

> dev-python/pycairo
> dev-python/pygobject
> dev-python/pygtk
> dev-python/pyxml

Remove all this py* stuff. They are deps

> dev-tcltk/expect
> dev-tex/feynmf
> dev-util/byacc
> dev-util/ccache
> dev-util/meld
> dev-util/unifdef
> dev-vcs/git
> dev-vcs/subversion
> games-action/supertuxkart
> games-arcade/supertux
> games-arcade/xscavenger
> games-kids/tuxmathscrabble

> gnome-base/gconf

Remove, this is a common dep

> mail-client/mutt
> mail-client/thunderbird
> mail-filter/procmail
> mail-filter/spamassassin
> mail-mta/postfix
> media-fonts/arphicfonts
> media-fonts/baekmuk-fonts
> media-fonts/corefonts
> media-fonts/kochi-substitute
> media-fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera
> media-gfx/gimp
> media-gfx/ristretto
> media-gfx/sane-backends
> media-gfx/xsane
> media-gfx/xv

> media-libs/gstreamer
> media-libs/libcuefile
> media-libs/libdvbpsi
> media-libs/libid3tag
> media-libs/libmikmod
> media-libs/libmodplug
> media-libs/libpng
> media-libs/libreplaygain
> media-libs/libsdl
> media-libs/mesa
> media-libs/openjpeg
> media-libs/schroedinger
> media-libs/tiff

Remove everything from media-libs

> media-sound/alsa-utils
> media-sound/audacity
> media-sound/cdparanoia
> media-sound/cmus
> media-sound/musepack-tools
> media-sound/sox
> media-video/dirac
> media-video/dvdbackup
> media-video/gtk-recordmydesktop
> media-video/kino
> media-video/motion
> media-video/mplayer
> media-video/vlc
> media-video/xine-ui
> net-analyzer/gnu-netcat
> net-analyzer/httping
> net-analyzer/nagios
> net-analyzer/nagios-core
> net-analyzer/nmap
> net-analyzer/tcpdump
> net-dialup/mgetty
> net-dns/ddclient
> net-fs/nfs-utils
> net-fs/samba
> net-ftp/gftp
> net-libs/adns
> net-libs/libvncserver
> net-libs/openslp
> net-mail/fetchmail
> net-mail/tnef
> net-misc/asterisk

why are you running asterisk on a machine that is obviously a
workstation?...

> net-misc/dhcpcd
> net-misc/hylafaxplus
> net-misc/iperf
> net-misc/nx
> net-misc/nxclient
> net-misc/nxserver-freenx
> net-misc/openvpn
> net-misc/rdate
> net-misc/socat
> net-misc/telnet-bsd
> net-misc/urlview
> net-misc/whois
> net-print/cups
> net-print/cups-pdf
> net-print/fax4cups

> net-print/foomatic-db
> net-print/foomatic-db-engine
> net-print/foomatic-db-ppds

You can probably remove foomatic, it's a dep on cups-filters

> net-wireless/bluez
> sci-calculators/qalculate-gtk
> sys-apps/ack
> sys-apps/acl
> sys-apps/dmidecode
> sys-apps/ethtool
> sys-apps/hdparm
> sys-apps/hwinfo
> sys-apps/lshw
> sys-apps/mlocate
> sys-apps/portage
> sys-apps/setserial
> sys-apps/xinetd
> sys-boot/grub
> sys-boot/grub:0
> sys-devel/crossdev
> sys-devel/gcc
> sys-devel/gcc:4.5
> sys-devel/icecream
> sys-fs/eudev
> sys-fs/fuse
> sys-fs/lvm2
> sys-fs/sshfs-fuse
> sys-kernel/genkernel
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.10.17
> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:3.5.7

Wee bit behind on kernel versions...

> sys-kernel/module-rebuild

Remove, no such package. Whatever it was, portage now does it internally

> sys-libs/db
> sys-libs/pam
> sys-libs/timezone-data
> sys-power/apcupsd
> sys-process/at
> sys-process/htop
> sys-process/vixie-cron

> virtual/ghostscript
> virtual/jdk

Remove both virtuals, replace with the actual ghostscript and jdk
implementations you actually use

> www-client/firefox-bin
> www-client/links
> www-client/seamonkey-bin
> www-servers/apache

> x11-apps/xdm

XDM? Really?

> x11-base/xorg-server

Remove. The server is a dep for just about everything GUI-related

> x11-base/xorg-x11
> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers

> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
> x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-tdfx
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa

Remove all xf86 drivers. They are controlled by INPUT_DEVICES and
VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf

> x11-libs/cairo
> x11-libs/fltk
> x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf
> x11-libs/gtk+:2
> x11-libs/libXvMC
> x11-libs/motif

All these libs should be deps of something else. Maybe not motif.

> x11-misc/gxmessage
> x11-misc/shared-mime-info
> x11-misc/slim
> x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
> x11-terms/xfce4-terminal
> x11-themes/gtk-chtheme
> x11-themes/tango-icon-theme
> x11-themes/xfwm4-themes
> xfce-base/thunar
> xfce-base/xfce4-meta
> xfce-base/xfce4-session
> xfce-extra/thunar-archive-plugin
> xfce-extra/tumbler
> xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer
> xfce-extra/xfce4-mount-plugin
> xfce-extra/xfce4-screenshooter
> xfce-extra/xfce4-sensors-plugin
> xfce-extra/xfce4-taskmanager
> xfce-extra/xfce4-verve-plugin

Note every line you removed from world, then do a full world update then
depclean. Carefully note everything that portage wants to unmerge and
find out why, if they are true deps and you need them then portage will
not remove them. If it's something you truly need then add it back to
world (this should be rare, or not happen at all)

I can see the mistake you are making, you've been doing this over time:

emerge -av <some_lib>

and then it goes in world and never comes out = clutter. What you should
do is set USE as you want it, then emerge only the actual apps you
interact with. Portage will add and remove libs and other deps as
necessary, preventing conflicts.

The world file is something you need to diligently clean up every few
months or so, it's easy to add stuff you shouldn't.

One thought kept coming back to me - I think you should determine
exactly what the purpose of that host is and rip out ancient junk. Like
asterisk - why is it there together with vlc? Think hard about these things.

Back to jpeg. One of your first recent posts was about the conflict
between jpeg and jpeg-turbo. You had nxclient requiring jpeg and
something else requiring jpeg-turbo. These conflict and cannot co-exist.

You are going to have to give up one of those apps, or run them on
separate hosts. No way past this.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com