On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 06:30:03PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote

> With situations like this, one has to apply some intelligence (and the
> reverse is also true - running gtk/Gnome apps on a KDE system). A few
> simple apps like say okular or konsole will be very manageable, as they
> have specific narrow functionality and are not core.

  You'd be surprised.  First some background on my system.  When I
installed it as 32-bit years ago, I went with USE="-*" like so...

USE="-* a52 aac bzip2 cxx fortran ncurses netifrc nptl nptlonly nsplugin
offensive openssl posix readline ssl threads vim-syntax zlib X dga dri
exif ffmpeg flac classic gif intel jpeg mng mp3 mpeg ogg opengl png rtmp
theora tiff truetype vorbis xcomposite webm x264 xpm xv xvid xvmc"

  When I re-did it as 64-bit, I went to "the regular way" like so...

USE="X apng bindist ffmpeg jpeg png truetype x264 x265 xorg -acl -berkdb
-chatzilla -cracklib -crypt -gallium -gdbm -gmp-autoupdate -graphite
-gstreamer -iconv -introspection -ipc -iptables -ipv6 -libav -llvm -nls
-openmp -pam -pch -roaming -sendmail -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode
-upower -xinerama"

  When Xpdf was deprecated, I eventually settled on mupdf, which is nice
and lightweight.  I skipped okular, because it brought in a big chunk of
KDE.  Just for ####s and giggles, I had a look today at what would be
required to build okular on my system.  Repeat emerge commands showed
that my package.use would require the following extras...

dev-qt/qtcore qt3support
app-text/poppler qt4
dev-qt/qtsql qt3support
dev-qt/qtgui qt3support
sys-apps/dbus X
media-video/vlc dbus ogg vorbis
sys-libs/zlib minizip
sys-libs/ncurses unicode
sys-auth/consolekit policykit
dev-qt/qtdeclarative qt3support
dev-qt/qtopengl qt3support

  File-attached is the "emerge -pv okular" output.  To summarize...
Total: 53 packages (50 new, 3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 329,492 KiB

...because a pdf-reader really needs libogg, libvorbis, www-misc/htdig,
qtcore-4.8.6-r4, 2 versions of qtgui, qt3support, qtwebkit, libdbusmenu,
strigi, spidermonkey, phonon, vlc, polkit, consolekit, etc, etc.

  Similarly, gnumeric is a great spreadsheet, but it's being loaded
with a ton of egregiously unnecessary GNOME dependancies, via gtk3
and goffice.  Remember when Bill Gates showed how IE.EXE was an
eensy-weensy-teensy-itty-bitty little program that you could easily
remove?  But he failed to mention that it was merely an interface to a
whole bunch of Windows libraries that were continuously running in the
background.  Similarly, gnumeric has been adding hard dependancies on
various GNOME libraries over time.

  I try to keep a minimal profile.  Every so often, stuff like dbus,
harfbuzz, ghostscript, etc, etc, have been added as hard dependancies
to gnumeric.  I'd be willing to contribute money to developers who would
fork gnumeric, and move it off of GTK and on to FTLK (Fast Light Tool
Kit) http://www.fltk.org/index.php and get rid of hard dependancies on
a bunch of GNOME stuff.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>