151002 Andrew Lowe wrote:
> I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking
> with respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to.
> The semantic desktop or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it,
> is one thing that comes immediately to mind.

I took  1  look at the KDE 4 desktop & started using Fluxbox straightaway.

> Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt.

You might like Fluxbox, which is easy to configure to taste.
I had a look at Xfce 12 yesterday & was much impressed : another option.

> I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few more.
> Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge
> kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries,
> which I can live with, but not the whole desktop environment ?

I've been doing it for years (smile).
I use 'startx' & in  .xinitrc  I have :

  xscreensaver &
  kdeinit &
  startfluxbox

This speeds things up.  I even manage to go on using  3  KDE 3 games.

The power of Gentoo !

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca