On Sunday, January 17, 2016 07:27:45 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 6:38 AM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > Suppose you use a VPN connection.  How do does the client (employee)
> > secure their own network and the machine they're using to work remotely
> > then?
>
> Poorly, most likely.  Your data is probably not nearly as important to
> them as their data is, and most people don't take great care of their
> own data.
>
> As I mentioned in my other post, there might be some exceptions if
> you're dealing with highly-skilled IT security employees or something
> like that, but most people don't take nearly the level of care with
> their clients as you're probably going to want them to.
>
> > What's the Linux equivalent of RDP sessions?  Some sort of VNC seems to
> > usually require a lot of bandwidth, and I wouldn't know how to run it as
> > a service so that someone could just start a client (like rdesktop) and
> > log in to the server as they can do with Windoze servers. --- I only
> > found x11rdp which appears to be incompatible with current X servers.
>
> There is stuff like xtogo and other NX-like technologies, but the
> trend seems to be towards client-side rendering which makes them
> perform about as well as VNC.  I mostly gave up on it ages ago - it
> was fairly fragile to keep working as well.  I do know one of the
> maintainers - perhaps it has gotten better in recent years.
>
> However, while an RDP-like solution protects you from some types of
> attacks, it still leaves you open to many client-side problems like
> keylogging.  I don't know any major corporation that lets people RDP
> into their applications in general.

Actually, there are several large corporations that use RDP-like technologies.
Although those are called "VDI" and usually use XenDesktop on the server side
and "icaclient" on the client.
Runs through HTTPS and apart from keyloggers and screenloggers, there is not
much that can be done.
Using 2-factor authentication (RSA-type keys or similar) they're pretty
secure.

--
Joost