On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 08:18:13PM -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
> I use two scripts for all emerge use, the goal is to run one command and
> then walk away:
>
> Standard general update script:
> #######################
> tortoise ~ # cat sysupdate
>
> #they must have moved or removed the logs, might have to track them down
> again...
> #rm /var/log/emerge*
>
> # cache /usr/portage
> echo "caching /usr/portage.  This will take a long time."
> time ls -R /usr/portage > /dev/null
>
> emerge --sync
> layman --sync ALL
>
> emerge --update --verbose portage

You almost certainly want this to be:

    emerge --update --verbose --oneshot portage

"--oneshot" will prevent portage from being added to your @world set.

> emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y system --keep-going

Add "--oneshot", same reasoning as above.

> emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y world --keep-going
>
> rm -f /var/cache/revdep-rebuild/*.rr

delete the above line

> revdep-rebuild

add "--ignore" to ignore any cached files and fully examine the system.

> emerge --skipfirst --resume
> emerge --skipfirst --resume
> etc-update
> eclean-dist
> ########################
>
> The eclean line was added just a few days ago from this thread...
>
> This one is intended to be a nice gentle update script.
> It caches the portage tree, then syncs everything, then updates
> everything starting with critical system packages, then all world
> packages...
>
> Then it cleans stuff up, it jcakhammers the revdep-rebuild but not too
> hard....

Seeing so much "--resume" and "--skip-first" and "--keep-going"
frightens me.

> This next script is what I use when emerge starts giving me shit:
>
> ##################
> tortoise ~ # cat keepgoing
> emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y system
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
>
> emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y world
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
>
> rm /var/cache/revdep-rebuild/*.rr
> revdep-rebuild
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
> emerge --skipfirst --resume --nodeps
>
> etc-update
> ###################
>
> It's basically the same as the working section of the above but instead
> of letting emerge do it's thing, it jackhammers that bitch as hard as
> possible to get as much updated as possible, but it requires emerge to
> do something and not error out for no good reason... I expect prune and
> depclean to be useless but I kinda need update to basically work every
> time. =\
> Whatever fails on this script, I just live with until next week/month.

Wow. This script makes me cry.

> ###################
> tortoise ~ # ./pretendupdate

> Calculating dependencies /
>
> !!! Problem resolving dependencies for sys-apps/util-linux from @system
> ... done!
>
> !!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "sys-apps/util-linux" has unmet
> requirements.
> - sys-apps/util-linux-2.27.1::gentoo USE="caps cramfs ncurses nls pam
> python readline suid udev unicode -build -fdformat -kill (-selinux)
> -slang -static-libs -systemd -test -tty-helpers" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32"
> PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="-python2_7 -python3_3 -python3_4"
> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_3"
>
>   The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
>     python? ( exactly-one-of ( python_single_target_python2_7
> python_single_target_python3_3 python_single_target_python3_4 ) )
>
>   The above constraints are a subset of the following complete expression:
>     python? ( exactly-one-of ( python_single_target_python2_7
> python_single_target_python3_3 python_single_target_python3_4 )
> python_single_target_python2_7? ( python_targets_python2_7 )
> python_single_target_python3_3? ( python_targets_python3_3 )
> python_single_target_python3_4? ( python_targets_python3_4 ) )
>
> (dependency required by "@system" [set])
> (dependency required by "@world" [argument])
>
> tortoise ~ # cat ./pretendupdate
> emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y world --verbose --pretend
> tortoise ~ #

> Google is not being helpful with this... =(

What have you set PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET to? It *must* be one of:

* python2_7
* python3_4

Alec