OK

We're in 2016 now. And KDE *still* doesn't make it easy to disable their
damn indexer. I've never wanted to search through my menu, I've never
wanted it to remember every damn file I've opened. It's a personal
preference.

WHY can't we have a single checkbox to disable all this crap? I found
one and it didn't work (search in system settings.) Then when I was
searching around online I found out it will reenable itself magically
randomly anyway!

I also tried balooctl and it didn't work either.

So I got very pissed off at this point and did the following:

$ chmod 444 ~/.kde4/share/apps/RecentDocuments/
$ rm /usr/bin/*baloo*

Rebooted

$ rm -rf ~/.config/baloo*
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/baloo

Rebooted again

...and FINALLY it stopped indexing and remembering stuff that I told it
not to. It still remembers the last application used, but I don't really
care about that. I've put those commands in a script in /etc/local.d too.

Just figured others might want the info. A note, searching for files
through Dolphin can be affected by this. I never do that myself, I
always use a shell (konsole, etc.)

I've been using and tweaking for a couple hours now and haven't seen any
ill side-effects from my "nuclear" option.

One other gripe on KDE5: it's 2016, why can't we use the meta key to pop
up the menu? Really...

Other than that, things are a bit different. I'm not sure I like the
flat look yet. After the upgrade for some reason the K menu was
invisible, but when I set the theme to Oxygen it was visible again? I
thought that was odd, did anyone else experience that?

Dan