On 04/14/2016 11:26 AM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>

> In System Settings -> Search there's options to turn off the file
> indexer as well as all the other search plugins (including recent
> documents). I've heard that sometimes it can take a little bit for the
> indexer to stop, but otherwise it seems to work OK fo rme.

I actually forgot I sent this to the list, I've calmed down now. I got
so mad at one point the whole K desktop looked red :-)

I did try disabling through system settings->search (and I found
balooctl shortly afterward and used that too) but even after multiple
reboots baloo insisted on running and indexing files.

> Duncan has some patches floating around if you want to strip baloo out
> completely.

I actually don't care if it's installed, but it wasn't staying disabled
for me, even after multiple times telling it to.

>> One other gripe on KDE5: it's 2016, why can't we use the meta key to pop
>> up the menu? Really...
>
> Not sure the reason why it's not native functionality, but you might try
> x11-misc/ksuperkey.

Thanks for that tip! I'll check it out (although I'm back on kde4 now.
More on that below.)

>> Other than that, things are a bit different. I'm not sure I like the
>> flat look yet. After the upgrade for some reason the K menu was
>> invisible, but when I set the theme to Oxygen it was visible again? I
>> thought that was odd, did anyone else experience that?
>
> Maybe a botched settings migration?

I forgot to emerge the wedge-compatibility layer dev-libs/sni-qt,
figured that out a couple days later.

Last night I reverted back to kde4. Plasma was hanging quite freqently
(on resume, plasma would hang for 1-2 minutes before I could use the
taskbar/K menu. I also couldn't switch using alt+tab - if I pressed it
quickly like I would in kde4 nothing would happen. If I pressed alt+tab,
released tab, and held alt for 3-5 seconds it would work, which was
downright annoying.) I tried disabling the compositor, no luck. Then I
thought this might be because of the way I disabled baloo so I undid it
and remerged it but it made no difference.

I then discovered that functionality was broken in kde5, most notably
Dolphin stayed at the kde4 version (newest versions were keyworded
unstable) which means its integration was all broken.

Shortly after that I found out nouveau was not recommended for nvidia
cards, so I installed the binary driver and went from regular freezing
to downright crashing. Plasma would crash every 2-3 minutes instead of
freezing. :-(

I'm back on nouveau with kde4 and everything is working fine. I will
wait out the upgrade to kde5/plasma & mask it if needed for as long as
possible, it's nowhere near usable for me. I messed with it for 4-5 days
trying to get it to work without crashing and gave up.

Dan