Hi Dan,

On 11/04/16 09:55, Daniel Frey wrote:
> OK
>
> We're in 2016 now. And KDE *still* doesn't make it easy to disable their
> damn indexer. I've never wanted to search through my menu, I've never
> wanted it to remember every damn file I've opened. It's a personal
> preference.
>
> WHY can't we have a single checkbox to disable all this crap? I found
> one and it didn't work (search in system settings.) Then when I was
> searching around online I found out it will reenable itself magically
> randomly anyway!
>
> I also tried balooctl and it didn't work either.
>
> So I got very pissed off at this point and did the following:
>
> $ chmod 444 ~/.kde4/share/apps/RecentDocuments/
> $ rm /usr/bin/*baloo*
>
> Rebooted
>
> $ rm -rf ~/.config/baloo*
> $ rm -rf ~/.local/share/baloo
>
> Rebooted again
>
> ...and FINALLY it stopped indexing and remembering stuff that I told it
> not to. It still remembers the last application used, but I don't really
> care about that. I've put those commands in a script in /etc/local.d too.
>
> Just figured others might want the info. A note, searching for files
> through Dolphin can be affected by this. I never do that myself, I
> always use a shell (konsole, etc.)
>
> I've been using and tweaking for a couple hours now and haven't seen any
> ill side-effects from my "nuclear" option.

In System Settings -> Search there's options to turn off the file
indexer as well as all the other search plugins (including recent
documents). I've heard that sometimes it can take a little bit for the
indexer to stop, but otherwise it seems to work OK fo rme.

Duncan has some patches floating around if you want to strip baloo out
completely.

> One other gripe on KDE5: it's 2016, why can't we use the meta key to pop
> up the menu? Really...

Not sure the reason why it's not native functionality, but you might try
x11-misc/ksuperkey.

> Other than that, things are a bit different. I'm not sure I like the
> flat look yet. After the upgrade for some reason the K menu was
> invisible, but when I set the theme to Oxygen it was visible again? I
> thought that was odd, did anyone else experience that?

Maybe a botched settings migration?

> Dan

Kind regards,

Michael