On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:41:07 -0400 cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> > > hmmm, I thought you could do it from the console as well, for certain
> > > commands.
> >
> > The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
> > shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
> > commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
> > again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
> > manual shows how it all fits together.
> >
> > Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
> > with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
> > straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
>
> Well, I am trying to use the nvidia driver which conflicts with uvesafb
> frame buffer, so it seems.  It used to work fine, but not it does not
> work anymore and the only solutions I have found was a couple of grub
> parameters which gives you a higher resolution and passes it on to
> linux.  It would not be as good as the uvesafb, but at least it would be
> better than 80x25.  I use the console a lot and only use gnome
> sometimes, but I don't want to have to reboot into a different kernel
> just to use gnome.

You can pass any kernel parameters using lilo as well.

Also it should be possible to use uvesafb and nvidia driver without
kernel switch, at least this is possible with fbcon: as described
in [1], it is possible to unbind framebuffer console and use text
vga console, then you should be able to unload uvesafb module and
load nvidia propietary blob.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko