On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:52:57 -0400 cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> Peter Humphrey <pe...@prh.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 15 Jun 2016 11:05:13 cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> >
> > > You can't use the nouveau drivers and the nvidia driver at the same
> > > time, so this is the problem.  I did try that once, but at the time
> > > which was quite a while ago, it didn't work.
> >
> > Perhaps I've missed it, but is there any reason you must have
> > nvidia-drivers
> > rather than nouveau?
>
> I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
> something?

It is possible to use nouveau driver instead of nvidia drivers.
nouveau is a free software, it is also compatible with linux
framebuffer drivers (if I remember this correctly), but 3D
acceleration will be poor to broken compared to the propietary
nvidia drivers, as well as some other features (like advance power
management, cooling states and so on).

Results vary depending on a hardware used, but usually nouveau is
sufficient when user needs only office, web or video and is
unacceptable when user needs 3D-related stuff (gaming, modeling,
etc).

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko