Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 09:41:07 -0400 cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> > > The commands that show up in "qlist grub" can be run from a standard
> > > shell. The GRUB interactive shell is different, with its own set of
> > > commands. You really need to read the online manual or the info pages
> > > again. The man pages explain the individual commands, but only the full
> > > manual shows how it all fits together.
> > >
> > > Why are you looking to switch from Lilo to GRUB now? If Lilo works, stick
> > > with it. If it is because you have EFI hardware, I'd skip GRUB and go
> > > straight to Gummiboot or systemd-boot.
> >
> > Well, I am trying to use the nvidia driver which conflicts with uvesafb
> > frame buffer, so it seems.  It used to work fine, but not it does not
> > work anymore and the only solutions I have found was a couple of grub
> > parameters which gives you a higher resolution and passes it on to
> > linux.  It would not be as good as the uvesafb, but at least it would be
> > better than 80x25.  I use the console a lot and only use gnome
> > sometimes, but I don't want to have to reboot into a different kernel
> > just to use gnome.
>
> You can pass any kernel parameters using lilo as well.
>
> Also it should be possible to use uvesafb and nvidia driver without
> kernel switch, at least this is possible with fbcon: as described
> in [1], it is possible to unbind framebuffer console and use text
> vga console, then you should be able to unload uvesafb module and
> load nvidia propietary blob.
>
> [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/fbcon.txt

But, if I compile uvesafb as a module, as opposed to having it built
into the kernel, I can never activate  the frame buffer, I always get
/dev/fb0 no such file or directory when trying to use fbset.  If I could
do that, and get the correct mode, that would also solve my problem.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com