On Saturday, October 22, 2016 05:28:22 AM David Haller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2016, Behrouz Khosravi wrote:
> >> $ mplayer foo.mp4 | grep '^VO: '
> >> VO: [gl] ...
> >> $ mpv  foo.mp4 | grep '^VO: '
> >> VO: [opengl]
> >>
> >> See 'mplayer -vo help' and 'mpv -vo help'.
> >
> >Thanks. It seems that mplayer is using "xv" and mpv uses "opengl-hq". mpv
> >work ok with "xv" but quality degrades a little, or at least I think that
> >it does.
>
> Are you sure? Albeit, I'm not familiar with mpv.
>
> Try 'opengl', 'opengl-old'... But 'xv' should be just as good. Maybe
> there's some filter (deblocking/deringing/denoise) active with one but
> not with 'xv'.
>
> And I've IIRC used plain 'x11' (or was it 'xv'?) for a very long time.

Unless things have changed massively in the last 3-4 years, you almost
certainly were using xv without really knowing about it. With just 'x11',
you're forced into using software scaling instead of hardware scaling, which
massively slows things down. And hardware scaling has been a feature of
essentially every video card since, I dunno, 1994 or earlier? And the xv
extension has been available since 1991...

--
:wq