Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 05:40:09 -0500
schrieb Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:

> Kai Krakow wrote:
> > Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 04:12:38 -0500
> > schrieb Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Kai Krakow wrote:
>  [...]
> >> I don't have a solution but wanted to reply to say that this
> >> happens to me too.  I have a regular desktop running KDE.  I use
> >> Konsole for most of my command line activity.  I've noticed that
> >> this happens with a lot of programs.  It has been happening so
> >> long, I thought maybe it was the new way things are done.  It is
> >> aggravating and confusing at times.
> >>
> >> You are not alone on this.  I'm hoping someone will post a fix.
> > KDE with konsole here, too... But I don't think that's the common
> > denominator. It's also happening from PuTTY in Windows.
> >

> I've likely had it happen on a regular console too.  I have just got
> so used to it, I don't pay it any attention.  I suspect this is a deep
> issue somewhere.  Maybe even as low level as the kernel somehow or
> close to it.
>
> It will be interesting to see what it is tho.  Given how long it has
> been doing it here at least, it's going to be a old commit/change
> which may be difficult to track back.

Well, I shouldn't say that probably, but some affected servers are
still running on 3.0 or 3.2 kernels. Only the rest of the system was
upgraded (mostly "glsa-check -f affected" only). So, I suspected an
issue because of old kernel but new user space tools.

But since some time ago my desktop machines are also affected (and those
are almost bleeding edge, with ~amd64 gentoo-sources).

So, more likely it's something in bash... Which is what I use. Which
shell do you use? I could try using zsh tho I absolutely hate how it
tries to be smarter about tab-completion and always steals trailing "/"
away - which especially with rsync and mv can do some serious damage or
at least unexpected results.

--
Regards,
Kai