Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 06:27:15 -0500
schrieb Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:

> Kai Krakow wrote:
> > Am Sun, 19 Mar 2017 05:40:09 -0500
> > schrieb Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Kai Krakow wrote:
>  [...]
> >> I've likely had it happen on a regular console too.  I have just
> >> got so used to it, I don't pay it any attention.  I suspect this
> >> is a deep issue somewhere.  Maybe even as low level as the kernel
> >> somehow or close to it.
> >>
> >> It will be interesting to see what it is tho.  Given how long it
> >> has been doing it here at least, it's going to be a old
> >> commit/change which may be difficult to track back.
> > Well, I shouldn't say that probably, but some affected servers are
> > still running on 3.0 or 3.2 kernels. Only the rest of the system was
> > upgraded (mostly "glsa-check -f affected" only). So, I suspected an
> > issue because of old kernel but new user space tools.
> >
> > But since some time ago my desktop machines are also affected (and
> > those are almost bleeding edge, with ~amd64 gentoo-sources).
> >
> > So, more likely it's something in bash... Which is what I use. Which
> > shell do you use? I could try using zsh tho I absolutely hate how it
> > tries to be smarter about tab-completion and always steals trailing
> > "/" away - which especially with rsync and mv can do some serious
> > damage or at least unexpected results.
> >

> Here is mine:
>
> root@fireball / # uname -r
> 4.5.2-gentoo
> root@fireball / #
>
> As far as I know, I use bash.  If you are talking about what I think
> you are talking about.

Yes, that's what I was talking about.

Run ps, it should tell you the processes running in your current shell,
including the shell itself:

# ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 1256 pts/2    00:00:00 ps
32059 pts/2    00:00:00 bash

And you can see your default shell this way:

# realpath /bin/sh
/bin/dash

Yes, dash for me, because it spawns much faster than bash, at least
when running scripts. This can make a big difference with openrc.
Meanwhile, I'm using systemd.

> [IP-] [  ] app-shells/bash-4.3_p48-r1:0

Here, too:

# equery list bash
[IP-] [  ] app-shells/bash-4.3_p48-r1:0

> Given the age of your kernel, maybe it is above that level anyway.  I
> don't update my kernel often either.
>
> I'm going to be watching this thread tho.  If I can share info which
> may help narrow things down, I'll do that for sure.

The problem is that this bug is totally non-deterministic... It fails
once, next try it works as it should.

If you can work out a way to reliably reproduce this bug, let me know.
Then I'll try to work out what the problem is.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.