On Sunday 09 Jul 2017 19:33:28 Alan Grimes wrote:
> Hey, I'm having some pretty dire FAIL issues with respect to a small but
> critical collection of packages...
>
> tortoise portage # tree -L 2
> .
> ├── dev-libs
> │   ├── libcdio-0.94-r1
> │   └── libcdio-paranoia-0.94_p1-r1
> ├── media-libs
> │   └── opencv-3.1.0-r7
> ├── media-video
> │   ├── ffmpeg-3.3.2
> │   ├── mplayer-1.3.0-r1
> │   ├── transcode-1.1.7-r3
> │   └── vcdimager-0.7.24
> ├── net-fs
> │   └── samba-4.5.11
> ├── sys-libs
> │   ├── ldb-1.1.29-r1
> │   └── tdb-1.3.14
> └── www-client
>     └── chromium-60.0.3112.40

Where in your fs did you get this tree from?  Is it showing what you have
installed, what you want to install, something else?

> The most critical root failure is ffmpeg. It appears to be a gcc
> incompatibility issue with an asm directive marked volatile... =\

Your *interpretation* of the error is tainted by your incapacity to understand
it and resolve it.  If you expect others to try to do this on your behalf you
will need to post the complete error, in unadulterated form, as generated by
emerge.

> Looks like I'm going to have to go to 5.4.0... =\

The current stable media-video/ffmpeg is on version 3.2.4.  It compiled and
installed fine here with these USE flags:

     Installed versions:  3.2.4(21:27:45 02/17/17)(X alsa amr bzip2 encode gpl
hardcoded-tables iconv librtmp mp3 network opengl opus postproc pulseaudio sdl
threads truetype vaapi vdpau vorbis vpx x264 xcb xvid zlib -altivec -amrenc -
armv5te -armv6 -armv6t2 -armvfp -bluray -bs2b -cdio -celt -chromaprint -
cpudetection -debug -doc -ebur128 -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -fribidi -
gcrypt -gme -gmp -gnutls -gsm -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -kvazaar -
ladspa -libass -libcaca -libilbc -libsoxr -libv4l -lzma -mipsdspr1 -mipsdspr2
-mipsfpu -mmal -modplug -neon -nvenc -openal -openh264 -openssl -oss -pic -
rubberband -samba -schroedinger -snappy -speex -ssh -static-libs -test -theora
-twolame -v4l -wavpack -webp -x265 -zimg -zvbi ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32"
ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx
mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -aes -avx -avx2 -
fma3 -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt
graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher")

You have not provided the output of 'emerge -upNDv media-video/ffmpeg' for
others to know which version you are trying to install and what may be
affecting the error you are getting when emerging ffmpeg.  You could also
attach the output of 'emerge --info media-video/ffmpeg' as a separate file for
those who may be inclined to delve into the depths of this problem to help
you.

If you share more relevant information to the problem you are encountering,
more people may be able to help.  If you are just venting, then that's OK for
me, although it may annoy others.  I find the titles of your posts immensely
entertaining.  :-)
--
Regards,
Mick