On 25/08/2017 09:21, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:12:52 PM CEST Alan McKinnon wrote:

>>> GMail used to be at 1GB when they started. Already back then that would
>>> not
>>> have been enough for me. My mailstore has been cleaned up occasionally
>>> (spam and alert-mails being cleaned up regularly):
>>>
>>> mailstore1 ~ # du -sh /var/spool/imap/j/user/joost
>>> 42G     /var/spool/imap/j/user/joost
>>>
>>> (This is only my personal email, the email archive of my wife and the
>>> shared stuff isn't in this)
>>
>> If I let them, the eejits running the telco where I work would dump that
>> much mail in my inbox yearly![1] But it's Office 365[2] and they pay, so
>> I don't care - stupid must feel pain[3]
>
> Office365... company I work for uses that.
> We got bought by another company that migrated over last week...
>
> I STILL have 2 seperate accounts, good thing Office365 supports POP3. I'll do
> the integration myself.
>
>> [1] The eejits all feel so important they HAVE TO announce to the whole
>> company as a mail every change in every procedure, every new
>> appointment, every marketing splurb and every event being held. All in
>> HTML with pictures and shit, and giant sigs. And half the eejit
>> recipients feel the need to reply to all saying only "Ooooh! shiny!"
>
> Let me guess, there is also the obligatory disclaimer about how the email is
> only for the intended recipient in lawyer-speak which means every email gets
> at least twice the size (for most emails, that text is actually 80-90% of the
> entire volume.

Bingo. Yeah that.

But see, there's a problem with the lawyer speak. Any mail in my inbox
was addressed to alan.mckin...@example.com, which is me, and that
automatically makes me the correct recipient. I cannot know who the
intended recipient is, because I can't divine the sender's intent, so I
must go by the recipient address. And that is always me....

>> [2] Which has still to learn the trick of how to delete all attachments
>> except the first copt>
> Always useful. I got filesystem compression enabled for the mailstore, which
> works quite well:
> san1 ~ # zfs get all zdata/services/mailstore1/imapmail | grep compressratio
>

> zdata/services/mailstore1/imapmail  compressratio         1.25x
>
> zdata/services/mailstore1/imapmail  refcompressratio      1.31x

On second thoughts, Office365 does de-dup, which works amazingly well
for corporate mailstores. One real copy (the first) of each disk block
in the sig, and 10,000 pointers to it :-)

>> [3] In this case, I'd be willing to
>> s/pain/enormous amounts of pain, on shaming youtube video/g
>
> Don't forget to share the link to that video...

I don't have it yet, but for a good giggle meanwhile, search YouTube for
"7 parallel green lines"

What a hoot!
--
Alan McKinnon