Ian Brandt wrote:
Is it possible to get the dmesg for the boot prior to the current one?

No it isn't. dmesg shows the ring buffer contents of the running kernel.

I'm trying to remotely upgrade from the 2.4 to 2.6 kernel.  I followed
the migration guide, but I got something wrong because my server
didn't come back up after reboot.  Fortunately I used lilo -R to boot
to the 2.6 kernel, so using remote power cycle I was able to get back
to my working 2.4.  The problem is now I have no idea how to tell what
went wrong?

Perhaps your kernel failed to mount the root filesystem. Where should it write the messages to in this case? ;-)

You could add a serial console to the host, which lets you catch the output generated by the kernel during boot.

Christoph
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" [EMAIL PROTECTED]