tu...@posteo.de wrote:
> On 04/12 10:54, Dale wrote:
>> Alexey Eschenko wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I've just read regular @world build log and found this:

>>> I'm very surprised because I have GTX 1080 GPU:

>>> Is this some kind of maintainer's mistake or does NVIDIA really messed
>>> up with drivers again?
>>>
>> It looks to me like the 396 versions of nvidia-drivers is not compatible
>> with your card.  Most likely, you have to stick with the 391 series.  I
>> for example have a older card that requires the 340 series.  I have to
>> mask anything above that.  You for example may need to mask anything 396
>> or above.
>>
>> You should be able to go to the nvidia website and find out exactly what
>> series of drivers you need and then mask anything above that.  Once that
>> is done, you shouldn't have this problem again.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>
> Hi Dale,
>
> I was also hit by this message...
>
> For me it looks like that sticking to a certain version of the
> nvidia-drivers will also bind me to an - then older - kernel version.
>
> In my case I would be bound to the 390.* versions of that drivers.
> This drivers compile fine with the linux-kernel 4.16.2 ... but the
> boot throws me back to the console.
>
> dmesg shows this then:
> [   32.227140] nvidia: Unknown symbol swiotlb_map_sg_attrs (err 0)
> [   32.281875] nvidia: Unknown symbol swiotlb_map_sg_attrs (err 0)
>
> Do I really need to buy a new nvidia card (I am using Blender a lot)
> just to be able to update the kernel??
>
> Slightly alarmed
> Meino

I'm not sure on having to buy a new card.  Mine is older, GT220 BUT I'm
still using kernel version 4.5.2.  I've got a newer kernel available, I
just haven't rebooted in many months.  I just tried, the version I'm
using won't build with newer kernels, 4.9.34.  So, you have a
interesting question.

I seem to recall having to set up a overlay for a slightly older version
because the newer version for my series would build with current 4.5
kernel but my screen was all messed up.  I had trouble getting logged in
so that I could kill X to even get the console to work.  So I'm using a
version of nvidia that isn't even in the tree any longer as it is.

I may have to check into this more later.  Funny thing is, I was looking
at newer video cards just the other day.  I was just wanting a spare, in
case the current one burnt out.  I wasn't thinking about the software
not working.

Dale

:-)  :-)