On 2018-11-18, james <gar...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 11/17/18 6:51 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Well, ... the PSP spy-in-the-die is an ARM core running within the
>>> main AMD x86 CPU and you can't switch it off, or remove it.
>>
>> Right.  Unless AMD has screwed up royally, the ARM
>> security-processor-thingy is pretty much invisible to the end-user.
>>
>>> However, I'm sure this is not the kind of ARM James' been looking
>>> for.
>>
>> I assumed not.
>>
>> I'd love to have an Arm based laptop, but getting full-up Linux
>> running reliably on a Chromebook is just a bit over my hassle budget.
>> I also want it to have a 16" 4:3 150dpi display, an RJ45 Ethernet
>> connector, and a real DB9 serial port.  I'll pass on the built in POTS
>> modem...
>
> I had not realized that AMD has completely given up on Arm Systems.

It's hard to tell.  They still show the Opteron-A on their web site,
but Google couldn't find anything using it...

> I'm looking for an arm64 system, with enough native power to compile 64
> bit arm codes, natively. Here is the best I've found::
>
> SynQuacer Dev Box
>
> [1]  https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/
>
> Purports to run gentoo (embedded?).
> "�SC2A11� is a multi-core chip with 24 cores of ARM� Cortex-A53"
>
> Not quite available (alpha) and a bit pricey at $1200.00.

Ouch.

> Like Grant I'm looking for an arm 64 system that is straightforward
> on installing gentoo, and has enough resources to perform most
> compiles, natively. Or somebody has distcc running on four of those
> 4G DDR-4 boards.
>
> Perhaps a gentoo cluster running on the latest R. PI ?
>
> Perhaps Vapier has a hidden howto to put native gentoo on Chromebooks?

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chromebook

It's definitly doable ( for certain models and some value of
"doable").  Everytime I look into it, the models for which "real"
Linux installations are documented are always out-of-production.

> Perhaps "TomH" has some suggestions. I got one of those "hikey Armv8a"
> boards from 2015, but cannot find his gentoo image he crafted and
> published. I do not have time for another gentoo adventure, just want to
> use it and sync it now and again and install ebuilds and write a few
> ebuilds for some 64 bit arm boards.

Cross development might be easier.  It's how a _lot_ of ARM Linux
targets are supported.  Even if the devlopment host and target are
both ARM64, unless they're _really_ identical (same kernel, distro,
and libraries), you still end up doing a good amount of "cross"
compiling.

--
Grant