On 11/18/18 12:19 PM, james wrote:
> On 11/17/18 9:59 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> I had not realized that AMD has completely given up on Arm Systems.
>>
>> It's hard to tell.  They still show the Opteron-A on their web site,
>> but Google couldn't find anything using it...
>>
>>> I'm looking for an arm64 system, with enough native power to compile 64
>>> bit arm codes, natively. Here is the best I've found::
>>>
>>> SynQuacer Dev Box
>>>
>>> [1]  https://www.96boards.org/product/developerbox/
>>>
>>> Purports to run gentoo (embedded?).
>>> "�SC2A11� is a multi-core chip with 24 cores of ARM� Cortex-A53"
>>>
>>> Not quite available (alpha) and a bit pricey at $1200.00.
>>
>> Ouch.
>>
>>> Like Grant I'm looking for an arm 64 system that is straightforward
>>> on installing gentoo, and has enough resources to perform most
>>> compiles, natively. Or somebody has distcc running on four of those
>>> 4G DDR-4 boards.
>>>
>>> Perhaps a gentoo cluster running on the latest R. PI ?
>>>
>>> Perhaps Vapier has a hidden howto to put native gentoo on Chromebooks?
>>
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chromebook
>>
>> It's definitly doable ( for certain models and some value of
>> "doable").  Everytime I look into it, the models for which "real"
>> Linux installations are documented are always out-of-production.
>>
>>> Perhaps "TomH" has some suggestions. I got one of those "hikey Armv8a"
>>> boards from 2015, but cannot find his gentoo image he crafted and
>>> published. I do not have time for another gentoo adventure, just want to
>>> use it and sync it now and again and install ebuilds and write a few
>>> ebuilds for some 64 bit arm boards.
>>
>> Cross development might be easier.  It's how a _lot_ of ARM Linux
>> targets are supported.  Even if the devlopment host and target are
>> both ARM64, unless they're _really_ identical (same kernel, distro,
>> and libraries), you still end up doing a good amount of "cross"
>> compiling.
>>
>>> My thoughts are to consolidate my efforts into one (arm64) arch, both on
>>> the development lappy and the arm64  SBCs I have to code to and
>>> maintain. Perhaps All winner? (Allwinner H6)?USB 3.0 is great for SSD
>>> and offgrid applications.
>>

> So, I'm going with a standard::
>

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi_3_64_bit_Install
>
> I guess I'll try to cluster these guys, say four, into an old laptop
> with a removed motherboard, and just cable the connections, to the
> external sides of the old/large motherboard. It'll be interested to see
> if I can get the 17.3 inch screen to work with this board. You'd think
> that some  laptop case manufacturer would have already built a generic
> laptop to house 4-8 of these R.pi.3B+ boards inside and prebuilt cables
> to tether to glueable connectors on the outside of the case. I like the
> Molex-screw-terminals myself, particularly for RS232 serial and A/D IO.
> USB and HDMI out to be easy to extend.
>
> And you thought those old (large) laptops were still useless....
>
> Wish me luck. Drop a line if you find gentoo-clusterd  on these R.
> [...]

Found a RPiB3+ lappy kit::

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pi-top-review-a-raspberry-pi-laptop-for-tinkering-on-the-go/

Now just add a carrier board for (4-8) RPiB3+ and cluster them together.
Several web sites indicate that distcc can be use to compile native code
for these Broadcom based arm64 systems::

from ::
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#WiFi

"The project's GitHub page additionally contains instructions for
setting up crossdev and distcc to build for the 64-bit RPi3. "